Smoked Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich with Rosemary Shortbread
Recipe by: Eloise Praino - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 200C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Smoked Chocolate and Whiskey Ice Cream, place the cream and milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to just under boiling point.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a glass bowl until pale and creamy.
- While whisking, slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk and sugar mixture and continue to whisk until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Place the chocolate chips into a glass bowl. Pour the hot custard over the chocolate chips and whisk well until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, cover with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun and seal cling film tightly. Light the smoking chips and allow the bowl to fill with smoke then remove the hose and reseal the cling film tightly. Set aside for 10 minutes, then uncover and stir in the whisky. Pour the mixture into the pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until set. Once set, transfer to the freezer until needed.
- For the Smoked Rosemary Shortbread, place the chopped butter in a medium bowl and cover with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun and seal cling film tightly. Light the smoking chips and allow the bowl to fill with smoke then remove the hose and reseal the cling film tightly. Set aside to smoke for 10 minutes. Unwrap and add the remaining ingredients to the bowl then mix to form a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and set aside in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough then roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 4mm thick. Remove the top layer of paper then use an 8cm ring cutter to cut out 8 rounds. Remove the excess pastry from around the rounds, then transfer the sheet of rounds to a baking tray. Bake in the oven until the edges are golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- For the Macadamia Praline, line a tray with baking paper then sprinkle the macadamias in an even layer onto the lined tray. Set aside.
- Heat the sugar and glucose in a medium sized frypan over a medium heat, swirling the pan regularly, until sugar has melted and turned amber in colour. Sprinkle in the bicarbonate of soda and swirl to completely combine. When the mixture has stopped bubbling, pour the mixture over the macadamias to evenly coat. Sprinkle with salt and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cool, break into shards and place into the food processor. Blitz to a coarse crumb and set aside.
- For the Roasted Strawberries, place all ingredients together in a bowl and mix well to combine. Place into the oven and richly coloured, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To serve, lay 4 of the Smoked Rosemary Biscuits on a plate. Spoon some of the Roasted Strawberries onto each biscuit. Add a scoop of Smoked Chocolate and Whiskey Ice Cream to each, and then sprinkle with some Macadamia Praline. Top with remaining Smoked Rosemary Biscuits to form sandwiches and serve.
Watch Full Episodes