Smoked Chocolate Mousse
Recipe by: Elise Franciskovic - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine on chill.
- For the Orange Sorbet, combine orange juice, sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cold, place into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until frozen. Once frozen, transfer sorbet to the freezer until required.
- For the Smoked Chocolate Mousse, place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place eggs, egg yolk and sugar into a medium sized bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until light and fluffy then remove from heat and set aside, reserving the saucepan of water on the heat.
- Place chocolate into a medium sized bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water, stirring until completely melted. Remove chocolate from heat and fold through the egg mixture until combined. Set aside.
- Place cream into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip to soft peaks. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun and light the smoking chips. Allow the bowl to fill with smoke then remove smoking gun hose and seal tightly, set aside for 5 minutes to smoke. Uncover and fold smoked cream through the reserved chocolate mixture. Transfer mixture to an isi gun and charge twice. Syphon into a 23cm x 13cm loaf tray lined with baking paper and place into the freezer until frozen.
- For the Orange Jelly, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place orange juice, sugar and Grand Marnier in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water then add to the saucepan and stir until completely dissolved. Allow to cool then pour into a 23cm x 13cm tray lined with baking paper and place into the fridge to set. Once set, cut jelly into 1cm cubes and set aside on a tray lined with baking paper in the fridge.
- For the Chocolate Crumb, place all ingredients into a bowl and use fingertips to rub together to form a coarse crumb. Spread onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Chocolate Glaze, place a small saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Combine all ingredients for the glaze in a medium sized bowl, sit over the saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted. Remove from heat and transfer to a jug.
- To serve, cut Smoked Chocolate Mousse into 4 by 3cmx6cm rectangles and place one on each plate. Drizzle each rectangle of Smoked Chocolate Mousse with the Chocolate Glaze to coat the top and create a drip effect down the sides. Add some cubes of Orange Jelly around the plate. Spoon a circle of the Chocolate Crumb next to the Smoked Chocolate Mousse and top with a rocher of Orange Sorbet. Garnish with some nasturtium flower petals.
Watch Full Episodes