Spiced Walnut Butter Sirloin Steak with Mushrooms and Roast Fennel
Recipe by: Trent Harvey - Contestant
- Heat oven to 180C.
- For the Roasted Fennel and Parsnip, trim the stems and tough outer layers from the fennel and cut in quarters. Cut parsnip in half length ways and slice into lengths about 3cm. Place fennel and parsnip into a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and golden. Remove form oven and set aside, keeping warm until needed.
- For the Creamed Kale and Beet Leaves, place a large fry pan on the stove top over medium heat. Add oil and sliced onions and sauté until translucent. Add finely sliced kale and beetroot leaves and cook until beginning to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add butter, cream and lemon juice and season to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes, or until leaves are completely wilted. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Mushrooms, place a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 7 – 8 minutes. Add the cream and butter and season to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes until liquids have evaporated. Add the spring onion and stir to combine. Remove the mushrooms from the heat and set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Salsa Verde, place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until finely chopped and smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Spiced Walnut Butter, place walnuts into a food processor and blend until a smooth paste. Add paprika and salt and, with the motor running, add the oil in a steady stream. Process until walnut mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside until needed for the steaks.
- For the Walnut Butter Steaks, place 50g of the Spiced Walnut Butter into a small bowl. Add the oil and whisk together until emulsified. Season to taste and transfer the mixture to a large, shallow dish. Place the steaks in the walnut mixture and toss to coat steaks generously.
- Heat a griddle pan on the stovetop over high heat. When hot, place the steaks on the griddle pan and grill for 4 minutes on each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. When cooked, remove the steaks from the pan and set aside to rest for 4 minutes before slicing into thin strips to serve.
- To serve, place a 2 spoonfuls of Creamed Kale and Beet Leaves into the middle of each serving plate. Arrange Walnut Butter Steak strips on top of the kale then top with Mushrooms arranged over the steak on one side. Top with a generous spoonful of Salsa Verde in the middle of the steak. Divide the Roasted Fennel and Parsnip pieces evenly between the dishes, placed to one side.
Watch Full Episodes