Spit Roast BBQ Lamb
Heston and George team up for a new twist on a Greek classic
Air Date: 22 Jun 2017
Recipe by: Heston Blumenthal
- Preheat oven to 120C. Preheat charcoal grill or rotisserie coals.
- To make the Brine, combine all ingredients in a large 8 litre pot over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- For the Lamb, place the leg of lamb into the cold brine solution and set aside in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Strain off the brine solution and fill the pot with fresh water. Set aside for 10 minutes then drain off water, fill the pot with fresh water again and set aside for a further 10 minutes to rinse the lamb. Remove lamb from the pot and pat dry with paper towel.
- Use the tip of a knife to make small incisions across the fat of the lamb. Gently push pieces of sliced garlic, anchovy fillet and rosemary sprigs into the fat, ensuring that they are not sticking out of the fat too much.
- Lay the 10 whole rosemary stems out across the base of a small roasting dish to create a bed. Add 200ml of water to the roasting dish. Transfer the lamb leg onto the bed of rosemary. Place into the oven and cook until the lamb reaches a core temperature of 45C, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and transfer to a clean chopping board and set aside, loosely covered with foil, to rest.
- Once rested, make an incision in one end of the lamb. Feed the spit stick through the lamb and secure.
- Once the grill coals are hot, attach lamb on spit and turn on to rotate. Place grill trays back over the coals.
- For the Rosemary Oil, combine the rosemary sprigs and the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat and warm through. When warm, remove from the heat.
- Use the bunch of rosemary to dip into the oil and baste the lamb with the oil every few minutes whilst rotating. Season lamb with salt flakes. Continue to cook, basting regularly, until internal temperature reaches 55C, about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Garlic, Chilli and Lemon Oil. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and set over a low heat to warm gently. When warm, remove from heat and set aside in the saucepan to infuse until ready to serve.
- Remove the lamb from the spit and rest on a wooden chopping board for 15 minutes. Carve the lamb. Re- grill the lamb pieces on the grill slightly more if desired.
- Place pita bread onto the charcoal grill and baste with the Rosemary Oil using the bunch of rosemary, until just golden on one side, then flip and cook on the other side until golden and warmed through.
- Return the Garlic, Chilli and Lemon oil to the stovetop over low heat and warm through. Once warm strain through a fine metal sieve and discard the solids. Transfer the infused oil to a copper pot to serve.
- To serve, stack pita onto a large serving platter. Place a stack of roast lamb next to the meat and add a bowl of the tzatziki. Serve the Garlic, Chilli and Lemon oil in the small copper pot on the side.
Watch Full Episodes