Strawberry and Liquorice Sorbet with Roasted Fennel and Syrup
Recipe by: Tamara Graffen - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill and preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the Strawberry Liquorice Sorbet, heat the sugar and 300g water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the liquorice, remove from heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Place strawberries into a blender and process until smooth. Pass through a sieve and measure 400ml of strawberry purée into a medium bowl. Add glucose syrup and 50ml infused liquorice syrup, reserving the remaining liquorice syrup in a small saucepan until needed. Place the mixture in to the pre-chilled ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, place sorbet in the freezer to set.
- For the Roasted Fennel, place fennel wedges onto a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fennel seeds and roast in the oven until cooked through and slightly charred on the edges, about 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the Liquorice Candied Fennel and Blackberries, heat reserved liquorice syrup over medium heat until hot. Add fennel slices and blackberries and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from syrup, reserving syrup, then place fennel and blackberries onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the pre-heated oven until the blackberries have roasted and the fennel slices become translucent and candied, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the Liquorice Berry Syrup, add the berries to the remaining liquorice syrup in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes or until strawberries and blackberries have started to break down. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving jug or ramekin and set aside until needed.
- To serve, arrange 3 julienne liquorice strands and quartered fresh strawberries on the bottom of each serving plate along with Roasted Blackberries and Liquorice Candied Fennel slices. Pipe several dots of whipped crème fraiche on the plate. Place a couple of Roasted Fennel wedges on to each plate. Add fennel fronds and place a quenelle of Strawberry Liquorice Sorbet just off centre. Serve with the Liquorice Berry Syrup on the side.
Watch Full Episodes