Sumac Lamb on Freekeh Pesto with Eggplant Puree and Yoghurt Sauce
Recipe by: Ben Ungermann - Contestant
- Heat oven to 180°C and heat the sous vide machine to 56°C.
- For the Freekeh Pesto, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add freekeh and cook for 10 minutes. Drain well and place in a large non stick frypan along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fry, with stirring, for 5 minutes, until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside on kitchen paper. Place the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season and stir through, and then add toasted freekeh.
- For the Lamb with Sumac, remove loin from rack and trim. Place loin onto cling film and roll and secure ends to form a cylinder shape. Seal in a bag and place into heated water bath. Repeat with remaining loin. Remove from water and allow to rest on a plate lined with paper towel for 5-10 minutes. Unwrap and roll lamb in sumac. Heat a large frypan over medium high heat and add olive oil. Cook lamb for 8 minutes, with constant turning, until medium and browned all over, or cooked longer to your liking. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- For the Smoked Eggplant, place eggplant onto a gas flame and cook, turning continually, until skin is blackened and flesh is tender, which should take about 15 minutes. Place into a glass bowl and cover with cling warp to keep hot. Peel skin and place flesh into the canister of a stick blender along with egg yolk to ensure it cooks the egg and then blitz. Add tahini, salt and pepper and stir. Pass through a sieve and set aside.
- For the Savoury Crisp, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to a smooth paste. Using an offset spatula, spread onto a silpat lined baking tray. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for around 10 – 12 minutes, or until light golden and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Break into small shards.
- For the Yoghurt Sauce, combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combine. Set aside in fridge.
- To serve, smear serving plates with Smoked Eggplant. Place Freekeh Pesto in the centre of each plate. Slice lamb loins into 6 slices and place 3 on each plate. Dot the Yoghurt Sauce around plate and top with shards of Savoury Crisp. Garnish with Parsley leaves.
Watch Full Episodes