Sweet Indonesian Crepe Croquette
Recipe by: Michelle Lukman - Contestant
Serves: 6 crepes
- Heat deep fryer of oil to 180°C.
- For the Caramel Sauce, place brown sugar, butter and salt into a wok or saucepan and place over low heat. Stir gently until the mixture melts and caramelises, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add 30ml water, whisk until smooth and mixture is fully emulsified. Strain the caramel through a fine sieve into a bowl and set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Pickled Apples, combine ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes to pickle. Once pickled, drain and set aside in a small bowl until needed.
- For the Apple Jam, place ingredients along with 400ml water into a wok and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until apple softens, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Pass the purée through a fine sieve and set aside in a small bowl until needed.
- For the Apple Crepes filling, combine apples, star anise, brown sugar, unsalted butter and salt in a wok, cook until apples are beginning to soften, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the crepes, whisk plain flour, egg yolks and 470ml water together in a medium bowl until a smooth, runny batter forms. Heat a 24cm non stick crepe pan over medium heat and brush with a little of the oil to grease. Pour in approximately 100ml of batter into centre of the crepe pan then swirl the pan around until the batter coats the whole surface area of the pan. Reduce burner to low and cook, without colouring, until the top of the crepe is set. Remove crepe from pan and place onto a clean tea towel and cover whilst making the rest of the crepes. Repeat with remaining batter to make 5 more crepes.
- Trim crepes into squares then place 1 tablespoon of filling along one edge of each crepe, far away enough from the edges to allow for folding and rolling. Roll up as per spring rolls and set aside until needed.
- Whisk egg whites in a shallow bowl until foamy. Place toasted coconut flakes and pecan crumbs into a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb then place into a separate shallow bowl. Dip each filled crepe in the egg whites, then into coconut mixture to coat on all sides. Deep fry in the pre-heated oil until golden brown and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- To serve, place one Apple Crepe onto each serving plate. Place a quenelle of the Apple Jam along side each crepe. Spoon equal amounts of the Caramel Sauce into 6 small ramekins and place on each serving plate. Divide the Pickled Apple between 6 small ramekins and place on each serving plate.
Watch Full Episodes