Sweet Potato Wontons with Szechuan Chilli Vinegar Sauce
Jess put a spin on the simple, classic Chinese Wontons, with a mix of sweet, sour and heat.
Recipe by: Jessica Hall - Contestant
Serves: 24 Wontons
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- For the Szechuan Chilli Oil, place the cinnamon, star anise and peppercorns into a small frypan and place over a medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly, until the spices are toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the peanut oil, garlic and ginger into a small saucepan and heat to 80C. Add the toasted whole spices to the peanut oil and infuse over very low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Place the chilli flakes into a medium heatproof bowl. Place a fine sieve over the chilli flakes and pour the hot oil through over the chilli flakes. Set aside to infuse and cool for at least 20 minutes.
- For the Szechuan Chilli Vinegar, combine the ingredients in the small bowl and mix until well combined. Transfer to a small serving bowl. Set aside.
- For the Sweet Potato Wonton filling, slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthways and microwave on high for 7 minutes.
- Rub the sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake on the prepared tray until soft and caramelised, about 20 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh and spread out over the baking tray. Return to the oven to dry slightly, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the sweet potato flesh to a medium bowl. Add the spring onion, ginger, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, salt and pepper and mix well until combined. Set aside.
- For the Sweet Potato Wonton wrappers, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Place the flour and egg into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Slowly add 2 tablespoons water and process until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured bench and knead until soft and smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Dust a clean bench with flour. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, pass the dough through a pasta machine until the second thinnest setting. Lay the sheet onto a floured bench. Repeat with remaining portions.
- Cut the dough into 24 large squares. Place 1 tablespoon of sweet potato filling into the middle of each square and gather the dough around the filling, bunching in the centre to form large wontons.
- Cook the wontons in the boiling water, in batches, until the dough in the centre of the wontons is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove wontons from the water with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl. Drizzle with remaining sesame oil and toss the wontons gently.
- To serve, arrange the Sweet Potato Wontons in a large serving bowl or individual bowls. Top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, crispy shallots, sesame oil, a few drops of Szechuan Chilli Oil, spring onions and flowers. Serve with the Szechuan Chilli Vinegar on the side.
Watch Full Episodes