Tea Smoked Rainbow Trout in a Lemongrass and Coconut Broth
Tessa cooks a fresh, noodle dish with tea smoked Rainbow Trout on a bed of coriander noodles, lemongrass and coconut broth.
Recipe by: Tessa Boersma - Contestant
- For the Coriander Noodles, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Place coriander in the canister of a stick blender along with ½ cup water and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place sifted flour onto a clean work surface. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Mix with a fork until almost combined.
- Gradually add the coriander water to the flour mix and knead until the consistency of the dough is soft and smooth but not sticky. Wrap dough in cling film and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pass dough through a pasta machine, starting on the thickest setting, then reducing the settings until almost the thinnest setting. Pass sheets through the spaghetti attachment to form noodles. Dust noodles lightly in flour and set aside on a tray in the fridge.
- For the Tea Smoked Rainbow Trout and Fish Stock, remove the fillets from the trout. Pinbone and skin the fillets. Cut each fillet into two and set aside to be smoked. Chop the bones finely and set aside for the Fish Stock.
- For the Fish Stock, place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the grapeseed oil and when hot, add the reserved fish bones. Cook, stirring regularly, until browned. Add the garlic, ginger, galangal, shallots and lime leaves and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the fish sauce and 3 cups of water and simmer for 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly and the stock is fragrant and well flavoured. Strain through a muslin lined sieve and reserve for the Lemongrass and Coconut Broth.
- For the Lemongrass and Coconut Broth, place ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pass broth through a muslin lined sieve into a clean saucepan. Reheat when ready to serve.
- For the Tea Smoked Rainbow Trout, combine the tea, sugar and rice in a small bowl and set aside.
- To prepare the wok, line the base of a large wok with 2 sheets of aluminium foil. Take two 30cm x 30cm pieces of foil, layer together and shape into a bowl. Fill with the tea mixture and place into the centre of the wok. Set aside. Line the base of a large bamboo steamer basket with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the wok onto the stovetop over a high heat. Place the foil bowl of tea mixture into the wok. Once the tea mixture is smoking, place the base of the steamer basket onto the wok and add the 4 portions of rainbow trout. Cover with the bamboo steamer lid and smoke the trout for 5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove the bamboo steamer basket from the wok, uncover and set aside to allow trout to cool.
- To serve, cook the Coriander Noodles in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until just cooked through. Drain noodles and arrange in the base of each serving bowl. Top with flakes of Tea Smoked Rainbow Trout. Garnish with coriander and Thai basil leaves and some spring onion. Pour some hot Lemongrass and Coconut Broth around the noodles in each bowl.
Watch Full Episodes