Textures of Yuzu
Recipe by: Bryan Zhu - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill according to manufacturers instructions.
- For the Yuzu Ice Cream, combine cream and milk in a medium saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk until pale. Slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs while whisking continuously, until combined. Return mixture to the saucepan over a medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, stir in yuzu and strain mixture into a clean bowl. Place bowl over an ice bath and stir until cool. Once cool, transfer mixture to pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until set.
- For the Yuzu Domes, combine yuzu sake, yuzu juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Whisk in agar powder and continue to cook until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place a silicone sheet of 20 x 2.5cm hemisphere moulds onto a baking tray. Once mixture has cooled, pour into the hemisphere moulds and place into the fridge to set.
- For the Yuzu Curd, half fill a medium saucepan with water and place over medium heat. Place gelatin into a bowl of cold water and set aside to soften.
- Place egg, egg yolks, juice and sugar into a medium heat proof bowl and whisk to combine. Sit bowl onto saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens, about 1 ½ minutes. Gradually add in butter, stirring in between each addition until melted, and then remove from heat. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water, then add to the curd and stir until completely dissolved. Pass through a sieve into a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until required.
- For the Coconut Sago, place gelatin into a bowl of cold water and set aside to soften. Place sago pearls into a medium saucepan with 750ml water over medium heat. Cook pearls, stirring occasionally until soft, about 20 minutes. Strain using a fine sieve to remove excess liquid and set aside until required.
- Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until all sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved, add strained sago pearls and continue to stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, squeeze out gelatin to remove excess water, and stir into the mixture until fully dissolved. Set aside until required.
- For the Popping Candy Citrus Crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place all ingredients except for the popping candy into a food processor and blitz to a coarse crumb. Spread over pre-lined baking tray and bake in the oven until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and break up crumb with a fork then place in the freezer to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place popping candy into a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine crumb. Once tray of baked crumb has cooled completely, transfer to a bowl and stir in popping candy then set aside on bench until required.
- For the Saffron Pineapple, place both sugars and ½ cup of water into a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until sugar has dissolved. Add pineapple and saffron and continue cooking until pineapple is deep golden in colour, about 5 minutes.
- For the Pickled Pear, place sugar, yuzu juice and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Slice pear, lengthways, to 2mm thick. Use a 3cm circle cutter to cut pear slices into discs. Add pear discs to the pickling liquid, ensuring they are fully submerged and set aside on the bench to pickle.
- For the Italian Meringue, place sugar and ½ cup water into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to 118C.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to soft peaks. With the mixer still running, slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg whites and continue whisking until mixture is thick and glossy and has cooled. Transfer meringue to a piping bag and set aside on the bench.
- To serve, pipe kisses of the Italian Meringue in a crescent shape on one side of each plate then use a blowtorch to brown. Spoon a trail of Popping Candy Citrus Crumb around the meringue kisses. Pipe some mounds of Yuzu Curd around the crumb trail. Place small teaspoonsful of Coconut Sago and Saffron Pineapple around the plate. Add a few Yuzu Domes on top. Stand some discs of Pickled Nashi against the meringue. Add a quenelle of the Yuzu Ice Cream and finish with micro herbs and some finger lime cells.
Watch Full Episodes