Tortellini filled with Jerusalem Artichoke, Mussels and Chilli
Recipe by: Fredrico Zanellato
- For the Pasta Dough, combine ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together until a rough dough forms. Transfer onto a clean, lightly floured work surface and knead together until a smooth dough is formed. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest for 30 minutes until needed.
- For the Jerusalem artichoke filling, dice about ¾ of the Jerusalem artichoke to a rough dice. Heat butter in a medium frypan over a medium heat. Place the rough diced Jerusalem artichoke into the pan and cook until soft, about 12 – 15 minutes. Transfer to cooked Jerusalem artichoke to the bowl of a food processor, blitz to a smooth purée and set aside until needed. Dice the remaining artichoke to a very fine dice and set aside in a small bowl until needed.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and place a steamer saucepan or bamboo steamer on top. Place the mussels in the steamer and cover. Steam until mussels open.
- Once steamed open, remove the mussels from the steamer. Open the mussels fully over a small bowl to reserve the mussel liquid for the Emulsion.
- Remove the drained mussels from their shells and reserve 16 for garnish. Finely chop one quarter of the remaining mussel meat and set aside until needed.
- Add the remaining three quarters of the mussels to the bowl of the food processor with the puréed artichoke. Process until smooth. Transfer the purée to a bowl, add the finely diced artichoke, chopped mussels and soy sauce. Stir until combined, transfer mixture to a piping bag and set aside until needed.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- To assemble the tortellini, cut the rested pasta dough into quarters and flatten with the palm of your hand. Pass each piece of dough through a pasta machine from the thickest to the thinnest setting, then lay sheet onto a clean, lightly floured bench top. Cut each rolled sheet of pasta into 5cm squares. Pipe 1 heaped teaspoon of the artichoke and mussel filling mixture onto each square. Fold pasta over filling and fold into a triangle. Press edges together with fingertips to seal, bring the sides together t the front to shape as per tortellini and press to seal firmly. Repeat with remaining pasta and filling to make 16 tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in boiling water until al dente and filling is heated through, about 2 – 3 minutes. Drain and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the Emulsion, heat the butter and 100ml of the reserved mussel liquid in a medium frypan and whisk together over a medium heat until emulsified. Keep warm in the pan until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the pan with the Emulsion back on the stovetop over a medium heat and warm. Add the 16 reserved steamed mussels to the warm emulsion and toss gently to warm through. Season to taste. Add the tortellini and stir gently to coat in the emulsion. Arrange 4 tortellini and 4 mussels in the base of each serving bowl. Spoon remaining butter mussel emulsion over dishes and serve.
Watch Full Episodes