Tuna, Avocado and Yuzu
Gary prepares a delicious a Mystery Box dish that heroes tuna, avocado and yuzu for his harshest critics - the top three
Air Date: 29 Jul 2018
Gary serves up a Japanese inspired dish with fresh tuna, avocado furikake and the citrus tang of yuzu mayonnaise
Recipe by: Gary Mehigan
- For the Tuna, brush the tuna slices with oil and season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Yuzu Mayonnaise, place the egg, mustard, lemon juice and zest, yuzu, miso and a pinch of salt into a small food processor. Process until the mixture becomes light and foamy.
- Combine the oils together in a jug. With the food processor running, slowly add the oils to the egg and mustard mixture until the mayonnaise becomes thick and creamy. Transfer to a piping bag then set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Avocado Furikake, place all ingredients, except for the avocado and lemon juice, into a small food processor and process to a coarse crumb.
- Cut the avocados in half, then into quarters. Cut the avocado quarters then cut, diagonally, into chunks. Place into a bowl with the lemon juice and toss to coat. Add the blitzed furikake seasoning and toss to coat. Set aside.
- For the Sesame Dressing, toast the sesame seeds in a pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ingredients in a bowl until combined. Add the hot toasted sesame seeds and mix to combine. Transfer to a serving jug and set aside.
- For the Crispy Garlic, heat oil in a small saucepan to 160C. Add garlic to the oil and fry until golden and crisp, then remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt and set aside until needed.
- For the Salad, prepare all ingredients and wash well in cold water. Drain on paper towel to remove excess water then set aside in separate bowls in readiness to plate up.
- To plate, lay slices of Tuna in the centre of each serving plate. Add a few pieces of the Furikake Avocado. Pipe some mounds of the Yuzu Mayonnaise in and around the pieces of tuna. Add some edamame beans, radish slices, watercress, micro sorrel leaves and shiso leaves to the plate. Finish with a sprinkle of Crispy Garlic.