Twice Baked Cauliflower Soufflés
Recipe by: Eliza Wilson - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Grease and flour 12 x 120ml capacity (8cm wide x 4.5cm deep) ramekins and set aside until required.
- For the Cauliflower Purée, place the milk, cauliflower florets, onion, bay leaf and thyme in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Strain the cauliflower reserving the hot milk. Discard the onion, bay leaf and thyme and blend the cauliflower with a little of the reserved cooking milk until smooth then set aside. Reserve remaining milk for the Soufflé.
- For the Soufflé, place the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat until melted. Add the flour and cook out, stirring continuously for about 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the reserved milk until a thick, smooth consistency is achieved. Whisk in 150ml of the cream, the egg yolks and 80g of the cheese until combined and then whisk in the reserved Cauliflower Purée. Season to taste and set aside until required.
- Place egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to stiff peaks. Fold a quarter of the egg whites into the reserved cauliflower mix to loosen, and then gently fold through the remaining egg whites.
- Divide mix between the prepared ramekins, place in a deep baking tray and fill tray with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the oven until risen and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove soufflés from the oven and gently tip upside down onto the pre-lined baking tray to remove soufflés from the ramekins. Place tray into the freezer until cool to touch, about 3 minutes. Remove from freezer and pour remaining cream over the soufflés and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the over until golden, bubbling and puffy, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the Pickled Radish, place the sugar and red wine vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer pickling liquid to a small bowl and put into the fridge to cool, about 5 minutes. Once cool, add the finely sliced radish and set aside to pickle until required.
- For the Chilli Apple Relish, place all ingredients into a medium saucepan with ½ a cup of water and stir to combine. Cook over low heat until caramelised and thick, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season to taste and set aside.
- For the Apple and Kohlrabi, half fill two a small bowls with water and add ½ of the lemon juice to each bowl. Slice the apple into small batons and the kohlrabi into fine slices, place into separate bowls of lemon water and set aside
- Place the crème fraiche, Dijon mustard and lemon juice into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Season to taste.
- Drain off kohlrabi and apple and place back into bowls. Add some of the crème fraiche and Dijon dressing and toss gently to coat.
- To serve, arrange slices of the dressed Apple, Kohlrabi and Pickled Radish on one side of the plate. Carefully place a Soufflé on the plate and a generous spoonful of the Apple Chilli Relish. Finish with some micro radish on top of the apple, kohlrabi and pickled radish.
Watch Full Episodes