Western Australian Soil
Recipe by: Yellow Team
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Panna Cotta, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place cream, milk and sugar into a small saucepan over low heat and stir gently until sugar has dissolved then remove from heat. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and whisk into the warm cream mixture until dissolved. Strain into a clean bowl and cool over an ice bath. Pour into 4 x dariole moulds set on a tray. Place into the fridge until set, about 2-2 ½ hours.
- For the Chocolate Soil, place almond meal, icing sugar, plain flour and cocoa into a food processor and blitz until combined. Place cocoa butter into a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts until liquid. With the food processor running on half speed, slowly pour in the melted cocoa butter and continue to blitz until mixture comes together. Roll out onto a sheet of cling film and mould into a log shape. Wrap log tightly with cling film and place into the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Once firm, unwrap log and grate onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place into the oven and bake until just crisp, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- For the Pistachio Crumb, cream butter and sugar in a bowl using electric beaters. Add to a bowl with pistachios and flour and mix well to combine. Spread onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the oven until golden, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely. Place into a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb. Set aside.
- For the Chocolate Mousse, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place cream into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place egg yolks and sugar into a medium sized heatproof bowl, sit over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk until light and fluffy. Remove bowl from heat and set aside, keep saucepan of simmering water on the heat.
- Place chocolate into a medium sized bowl and sit over saucepan of simmering water, stirring until completely melted. Remove from heat, squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and stir through the chocolate until dissolved. Fold chocolate gelatine mixture through the egg mixture. Fold whipped cream through the chocolate mixture until fully incorporated. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- To serve, spoon some Pistachio Crumb onto the plate. Turn out Panna Cotta onto the crumb. Pipe 2 mounds of the Chocolate Mousse next to the Panna Cotta. Sprinkle Chocolate Soil over the Panna Cotta and drizzle with saffron oil. Finish with a few thyme leaves.
Watch Full Episodes