Whiting, Coral Trout and Bisque
Ben cooks a pan seared coral trout with blue swimmer crab bisque, steamed whiting and lemon roasted carrots on the side
Recipe by: Ben Borsht - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Crab Bisque, break down and clean crabs, reserving bodies, legs and claws.
- Place oil into a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Add carrot, celery and shallot and cook without colouring for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high and add crab pieces and prawn heads and cook until shell colour changes to a bright orange. Add tomato paste, stirring to coat vegetables and seafood and cook for 2 minutes. Add vermouth and reduce until almost dry. Add wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Remove crab bodies and place in a food processor with some of the cooking liquid and process until fine. Return to the saucepan.
- Add rice and stir through. Add fish stock, cover with lid and cook until rice is completely soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pass bisque through a very fine sieve into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Add butter and whisk until combined. Season with salt and transfer to a serving jug.
- For the Lemon Roasted Carrots, trim carrot tops to 1cm and rinse well. Place in a small roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and toss well. Roast in the oven until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Remove from the roasting tray, cut the carrots in half on an angle and set aside, keeping warm until serving.
- For the White Onion Puree, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. When butter starts foaming, add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent. Add cream and cook until reduced, and onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt, then set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Steamed Whiting, roll the whiting fillets from tail to head and insert skewers to secure. Place in a small roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Cover tray with foil and place in oven to steam until the fish is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, remove skewers and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Pan Seared Coral Trout, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat. Drizzle coral trout with olive oil and season with salt. Place fish into pan, skinned side down and cook for 3 minutes. Turn fish over and continue to cook until just cooked through, about another minute. Remove coral trout from pan and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, place a spoonful of White Onion Puree into the centre of each serving plate. Add a portion of Pan Fried Coral Trout, a roll of Steamed King George Whiting and Lemon Roasted Carrots to each plate. Serve with a small jug of hot Crab Bisque on the side.
Watch Full Episodes