Chocolate Orange Fondant with Flambeed Oranges
Miguel shows the Bachelor Matty, the perfect dessert to find true love
Air Date: 11 Aug 2017
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until white and pale.
- Melt butter and chocolate, together with orange zest, over a bain marie until smooth.
- Add chocolate to egg and sugar, mixing small amounts at a time until combined. Remove the strips of zest. Sift flour into mixture and combine. For the batter, whisk together the eggs and sugar, then add the milk, oil and vanilla.
- Grease 10 x 150mL dariole moulds and dust with cocoa powder, shaking out the excess powder.
- Pour the fondant mixture into the moulds, leaving one finger width of space at the top to allow space for it to rise. Place the fondants in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to cool. This will ensure a consistent starting point for cooking.
- Cook the fondants in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Leaving it to sit in the dariole mould for 5 minutes before upturning.
- Whilst the fondant is cooking, heat the orange segments together with the caster sugar in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat until it begins to caramelize. Then add a generous splash of the liqueur, standing clear of the flambé flames. This cooks off the alcohol in the liqueur, leaving just the flavour.
- To remove the fondant from the mould, run a thin knife around the edge of the mould.
- Serve the fondant with icing sugar, double cream and the flambéed oranges.