Halloween Black Arancini
Miguel makes black arancini with a scary surprise in the centre
Air Date: 26 Oct 2018
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Heat stock over a low heat in a saucepan.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil and butter in a casserole dish over a medium heat. Sautee onion, and celery until soft and translucent, but not coloured. Add the two types of garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the rice, stirring it in the vegetable mixture for one minute until the rice is coated and the edges of each grain start to turn transparent.
- Add the first ladle of hot stock into the rice, turning heat to a simmer. As stock is absorbed add the next ladleful, continuing until the stock has finished and the rice has a slight bite. This should take around 15 minutes. Stir the rice with a wooden spoon to release the creamy starch. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked add some boiling water.
- Remove risotto from the heat and add squid ink, stiring to combine. Season and transfer to a baking tray, spreading the rice out to cool down.
- Whilst rice is cooling, mash the feta and remaining olive oil with a fork to soften. Shape 1 tbsp of the feta mixture flat in your hand, place the olive inside and shape the feta around the olive to encase it in white. Shape into a ball. Repeat using remaining olives and feta.
- When the risotto has cooled, take a small handful and make a dent in the middle with your forefinger or thumb. Place the feta covered olive inside and cover with more risotto. Shape into a ball. Repeat with remaining risotto mixture.
- Dip each risotto ball into the beaten egg and then the panko crumbs. Repeat to double coat the arancini. Repeat with remaining risotto balls. Refrigerate the arancini for 2 hours to set. This can be done the day prior to cooking and serving them.
- When you are ready to cook and serve, preheat a deep fryer to 190C. If you don’t have a deep fryer heat oil in a deep sided saucepan to a depth of 5cm. The oil is ready to use when a cube of bread turns gold in 10 seconds.
- Once oil has come to heat, fry the risotto balls, turning occasionally for 1-2 minutes or until golden all over. If using from the fridge cook arancini for 3-4 minutes. Ensure oil is back to heat between each batch.
- Cut through the centre of the arancini for the eyeball effect.
- Serve with wedges of lemon and aioli.