Heston Blumenthal BBQ Lamb Souvlaki
Heston Blumenthal goes back to the basics, sharing a quick and easy recipe for the perfect BBQ lamb.
Recipe by: Heston Blumenthal
Prep Time: 16 hours 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Serves: 6 or 8
- In advance, prepare the pickled cabbage by placing vinegar, sugar and salt into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, remove and chill.
- Add the red cabbage, cover and place in fridge for 12 hours to pickle.
- For the marinade, slice mint finely and combine well with other marinade ingredients.
- Remove all excess fat and sinew from the lamb leg. Trim into 1cm thick, even slices. Place into a bowl and combine well with marinade. Leave to marinate in fridge for 4 hours.
- Heat the charcoal BBQ until charcoal is glowing.
- Place lemon halves over glowing charcoal and caramelize until the cut side turns dark and golden.
- Place charred lemon halves onto the rotisserie forks on the rotisserie rod.
- Place all lamb pieces evenly onto the rotisserie rod and finish with the other fork containing lemon halves. Close in tightly and place onto rotisserie poles above the glowing coals and turn on the rotisserie.
- Cook meat on rotisseries until the core temperature reaches 58C. Remove and rest for 30 minutes.
- To serve, slice lamb into thin strips, season with some of the charred lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Quickly char the pita breads and top with lamb strips, a little pickled cabbage, aioli, chilli sauce and cress.