Lamb Shank Pie
While in New Zealand, Miguel is inspired by the national protein and shows you how to cook a Lamb Shank Pie
Air Date: 02 Mar 2018
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Serves: 8 (4 large pies to share between 2 people)
- Preheat oven to 150C fan forced.
- Dust the lamb shanks in seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole pan, big enough to hold the four lamb shanks.
- Brown the lamb shanks well on all sides. Remove shanks from the pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, until golden.
- Add carrot, onion, mushroom, leek, rosemary and garlic halves, cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft and aromatic.
- Deglaze with beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Return lamb to the pan, submerging under vegetables and stock.
- Cover pan with foil and roast in the oven for 2 hours, until tender and the sauce has thickened. Turn the shanks half way through cooking.
- Remove from the oven and increase oven to 180C.
- Place each lamb shank in one of four individual pie tins. Top with vegetable and gravy, squeezing out roasted garlic from the skin.
- Cover with puff pastry, cutting a hole for the shank bone to protrude. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Serve with steamed green veg.