Miguel's Carrot Cake
In hope of winning a country baking competition, Miguel makes an simple and easy carrot-packed carrot cake
Air Date: 25 May 2018
Miguel bakes a classic carrot cake topped with a zesty lemon and cream cheese icing for a country baking challenge.
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Serves: 1 x 20cm cake
- Preheat oven to 200C fan forced. Toss the chopped carrots, Dutch carrots and their tops in the vegetable oil and roast. Remove the Dutch carrots after 30 minutes, or when cooked through.
- Cook the medium carrots for an additional 10 minutes or until cooked through and blistered. Reduce oven to 160C fan forced.
- Blend the medium carrots and vegetable oil from the tray together with the butter, brown sugar and egg yolks to form a smooth paste.
- Add the pecans and blitz briefly, keeping nuts in rough chunks.
- In a separate bowl combine the plain flour, brown sugar, baking powder and mixed spice.
- Gently fold the paste through the dry ingredients until a smooth batter is formed.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg to soft peaks.
- Fold the grated carrots through the batter and then add the egg whites, folding together slowly to keep air in the mixture.
- Pour into a lined 20cm round spring-form cake tin, smoothing the top. Gently tap on the bench to remove any large air bubbles.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow cake to cool in tin.
- For the icing, use an electric beater to beat together all the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Once cake has cooled, carefully remove form the tin and peel away the baking paper.
- Turn cake upside down and ice the top and sides.
- To garnish, dot the carrot tops upright on top of the icing, pile the candied carrot ribbons and top with poppy seeds.