Monday: Pea and Ham Soup with Cheesy Mustard Toasties
Make your money go further with Miguel's five meals for under $100
Air Date: 02 Jun 2017
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- In a large pot heat olive oil and add spring onions, celery, carrot, onions and the smashed garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the ham hock and chicken stock ensuring the ham hock is covered with liquid. Bring to boil and simmer for at least two hours. The longer it cooks the more the broth will take on the ham flavour and the more tender the meat will become.
- When the broth is nearly done, start making the toasties.
- Mix the finely minced garlic with the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Take 4 slices of bread and thinly spread with garlic butter and Dijon mustard.
- Evenly distribute the grated cheese on the four slices of bread, topping with another slice of bread, buttering the top of the bread.
- Heat olive oil in a large frypan. Fry the cheese sandwiches in the pan for around 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the broth from the heat and take out the ham hock reserving for Tuesday’s meal. Add all but ¼ cup of the peas and 100ml of thickened cream and blitz with a stick blender until smooth. Do not reheat once the peas have been added to keep the vibrant green flavour.
- Ladle the soup into a large bowl, garnishing with whole reserved peas and remaining cream. Serve hot with a cheese toastie.