Next Day Gnocchi
Miguel shows us how to transform leftovers into a delicious dish
Air Date: 08 Sep 2017
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Combine the meats, vegetables and cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the equivalent amount of the mashed potatoes and combine well.
- Add the basil leaves and shredded celery leaves, mix well. Season to taste.
- Add 2 eggs to the mixture and combine well. Gradually add the flour, combining well between each addition until it resembles dough. You can tell when it is ready when you shake the bowl and the dough comes away from the sides.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Roll one portion into a 2cm diameter log, about 30 cm long. It is all about being very gentle to ensure a light product. Cut into small pillows about 3cm long.
- Boil the gnocchi in a pot of salted water for 2 – 3 minutes or until they float to the surface.
- Transfer to a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. Strain the gnocchi.
- When ready to serve heat the olive oil in a fry pan and pan-fry the gnocchi until they have a golden crust.
- For the topping fry the breadcrumbs, salt and olive oil until brown and crispy. Transfer to a bowl and mix through the zest, tomatoes and basil leaves. Serve on top of the pan-fried gnocchi
Notes: This recipe is all about using up your leftovers – so feel free to adapt the ingredients with
whatever is leftover in your fridge. Be sure to follow used by dates and keep to food safety standards to ensure leftovers are safe to eat. This recipe purposely includes some of the most wasted foods in Australia.