Spanish Hot Cross Bun
Miguel catches up with the STREAT team and feels inspired to bake a Spanish style hot cross bun that makes the perfect Easter treat.
Air Date: 19 Apr 2019
Miguel's Mona De Pascua is a delicious, traditional Spanish Hot Cross Bun, perfect for the Easter season!
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Using an electric beater, beat egg whites with half of the sugar until it holds soft peaks.
- Without washing the beater in between, beat the remaining caster sugar with the egg yolks until pale and frothy.
- Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture to the egg yolks, stirring to combine. Add to the remaining egg white, folding gently with a spatula to keep the air in the mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, yeast, almond meal and lemon zest. Rub the mixture with your fingers to break up any lumps of almond meal.
- Folding gently with a spatula, gradually combine the dry mixture to the egg mixture.
- Drizzle with a splash of extra virgin olive oil and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rest in a warm place for approximately 2 hours. Note; the dough will be very sticky.
- Preheat oven to 170C fan forced.
- Drizzle a non-stick tray with a splash of olive oil. Using 2 spoons, shape 6 even-sized piles of dough on the tray, keeping a handful of dough (approximately 150g) in the bowl. Place a boiled egg in the centre of each pile of dough on the tray.
- Add extra flour (approximately 50-60g) to reserved dough until it can be shaped by hand. Roll thin lengths of dough, draping it over each hard-boiled egg to form a cross.
- Brush the monas with the sugar glaze, sprinkle with almonds and the extra sugar.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm.