Vegan Lemon Lime Meringue Pie
Miguel shows us how to make two delicious vegan dishes
Air Date: 29 Sep 2017
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200C fan forced.
- Halve and score the sweet potatoes and roast them in the preheated oven. After 30 minutes drizzle with a tablespoon of maple syrup and continue to roast for another 15-20 minutes until very soft and able to be mashed easily with a fork. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking toast the granola in a frying pan until fragrant and golden brown.
- Whilst still warm transfer to a large bowl and add in the almond butter. Mix until the mixture starts to clump together. Spread the mixture evenly on the base of a lined 20cm spring form and press to pack together tightly. Put into the freezer whilst you prepare the coconut citrus curd.
- Combine the coconut cream, lemon juice and citrus zest in a saucepan and bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave the mixture to infuse for 5 minutes.
- In a small dish combine 2 tablespoons of maple syrup with arrowroot, stirring to dissolve.
- Bring the coconut mixture back to the boil and as soon as you remove from the heat add the arrowroot mixture teaspoon by teaspoon until it begins to thicken. Whisk until well combined and put in the fridge to chill. The liquid has to be hot to combine the arrowroot but not too hot or the consistency will be too sticky.
- Mash the sweet potato until no lumps remain and spread it evenly onto the chilled muesli base.
- Spread the chilled citrus curd over the sweet potato layer and return to the freezer for at least four hours, until frozen solid.
- When you’re ready to serve make the meringue. Take the chickpea liquid and beat in a stand mixer for 5-6 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Continue to whisk at a high speed, add the citric acid. Continue to whisk, gradually adding the caster sugar, until glossy and stiff. Check the sugar has dissolved by feeling the mixture between your fingers – it should be smooth to the touch.
- Pipe the meringue on top of the curd layer. Use a blow torch to caramelise the meringue, slice and serve immediately.
- To make the sorbet blend the mango and passion fruit in a blender until smooth. Serve a scoop of the sorbet with the pie.