Prince George identified as alleged second terror target
Published: 07 December 2017 Image credit: Reuters
Prince George has been identified as the second target of a foiled terror plot, as three men remain behind bars following an appearance in London’s Westminster Magistrates Court.
The court heard Wednesday that 31-year-old Husnain Rashid created an encrypted online chat channel on the app Telegram to encourage terrorists to attack the four-year-old prince.
He allegedly showed those in the chat group a picture of the prince at the start of the school term next to a silhouetted IS fighter, along with the words “even the royal family won’t be left alone”.
“Clearly the increased [terror] threat, the increased tempo puts an increased strain on the system and requires even cleverer juggling and even better use of the technology and data that we have got,” Cressida Dick, head of London’s Metropolitan Police, told foreign press.
“There are a number of factors that have played into this [increased threat], one of which is clearly the speed of communication and the way in which Daesh in particular have used social media to inspire and encourage.”
The chat channel was allegedly intended to help would-be attackers with guides, tips, and suggested targets, including a list of UK sports stadiums.
The allegations come as another man, 20-year-old Naa’imur Zakariyah Rahman, appeared in a separate hearing to Rashid, charged with planning to set off a homemade bomb at the Downing Street gates and attack British Prime Minister Theresa May with a knife and suicide vest.
He was charged with the preparation of terrorist acts, as well as assisting another man, 21-year-old Mohammad Aqib Imran on preparing a separate act of terrorism.
Ms Dick said that it had been a “shocking” year for London and England in general, but she was proud of the police response to several incidents, and had “really ambitious” plans for 2018.