Abalone with Green Juice
Recipe by: Diana Chan
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- For the Crispy Spatchcock Skin, remove the skin from the breasts of the spitchcock. Place the skin between two sheets of baking paper and then between two baking trays and bake in the pre-heated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, season to taste and set aside to cool and crisp until ready to serve.
- For the Pickled Bamboo Shoots, cut bamboo into thin batons, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Make a pickling liquid by placing vinegar, sugar and ½ cup water into a small saucepan and bringing it to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Pour over bamboo shoots and set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Once pickled, drain the bamboo shoots and set aside in fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Green Juice, place ingredients into a blender and process on high until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve lined with muslin cloth and set aside in fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Sautéed Vegetables, place a wire rack over an open flame or barbecue. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook, turning continuously, until charred and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Place the charred mushrooms in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Place over a low heat and toss to coat. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste, remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- Heat remaining butter in a medium saucepan. Use a vegetable peeler to shave Chinese broccoli stems and add to the pan. Julienne any remaining stems and add to the pan, sautéing until softened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from pan. Set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve
- For the Seared Abalone, place abalone trimmings and chopped spatchcock into a large, heavy based frypan, along with the olive oil and butter. Cook over medium heat until golden and caramelised. Remove abalone and spatchcock from pan and discard, reserving all pan juices in the pan.
- Add abalone slices to the hot pan and toss for 20 seconds until the abalone curls slightly. Remove from pan, season to taste and set aside, keeping warm until needed.
- To serve, place a few pieces of shaved and sliced Chinese Broccoli Stems on one side of each serving plate. Tuck Seared Abalone in between Chinese broccoli and arrange batons of pickled bamboo shoots over the abalone. Slice the sautéed mushrooms in half and place them around the abalone. Season the nasturtium leaves with some oil and salt and place a few on each plate, along with nasturtium petals to garnish. Serve with Green Juice in a jug on the side.
Watch Full Episodes