Brendan's Yum Cha
Radish Cake and Poached Prawn with spring onion and Crispy Chicken Skin and topped with Szechuan Chilli Oil and Tamari Dressing.
Recipe by: Brendan Pang - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Radish Cake, place radish and ¾ cup water in a wok and place over medium heat. Cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside, in a medium bowl, to cool.
- Wipe out wok then return to medium heat. Add shitake mushrooms and sausage, and fry until golden, about 5 minutes. Add spring onion and toss for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add to the radish mixture and stir to combine.
- Add rice flour, tapioca starch and salt to the radish mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 19cm x 9cm loaf tin and smooth top. Place in a large bamboo steamer. Fill a clean wok halfway with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Place bamboo steamer over boiling water and steam radish cake for 30 minutes.
- Remove loaf pan from bamboo steamer and allow radish cake to cool. Turn out and slice into 12 equal slices. Place grapeseed oil in medium frypan over medium-high heat. Add slices of radish cake and fry, in batches, until lightly golden and crisp. Set aside on paper towel and keep warm until serving.
- For the Poached Prawns, place pork and 1 tablespoon salt in a small saucepan and cover with water. Set over medium heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove pork from saucepan and turn off heat. Immediately add prawns to pork stock and leave for 5 minutes until just cooked. Remove prawns from stock and let cool.
- Add butter to a small saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Once butter has melted and starts sizzling, add prawns and toss for 30 seconds. Remove prawns, season to taste and set aside until required.
- For the Crispy Skin Chicken, lay chicken skin flat on a paper lined tray and season with salt and pepper. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and another tray. Place in oven until brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 100C. Remove top sheet of baking paper and tray and return to oven to crisp up, about another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper towel. Break into pieces and set aside until serving.
- For the Szechuan Chilli Oil, place grapeseed oil, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves and Szechuan peppercorns in a small saucepan and set over medium-low heat. When the oil becomes fragrant, about 8-10 minutes, increase heat to high and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove and slowly strain through a very fine sieve into a medium heatproof bowl. Add chilli flakes and salt and stir until combined. Set aside to infuse until serving.
- For the Tamari Dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved. Set aside until serving.
- For the spring onion garnish, place spring onion in a small bowl of iced water to curl, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain well on paper towel. Set aside until serving.
- To serve, place 3 slices of Radish Cake and 3 slices of Poached Prawn on each plate. Add spring onion and Crispy Chicken Skin. Drizzle with Szechuan Chilli Oil and Tamari Dressing. Serve with remaining oil and dressing on the side.
Watch Full Episodes