Chocolate Decadence with Miso
Recipe by: Karmen Lu - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 18cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- For the Chocolate Gelato, combine milk, cocoa powder, glucose and sugar into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved completely.
- Once sugar has dissolved, add the chocolate and mix until the chocolate has melted. Remove the mixture from the heat, add the xanthan gum and blend with a stick blender until smooth and slightly thick. Cool mixture over an ice bath.
- Once the mixture is cool, churn in an ice cream machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions, until firm. Once churned, transfer the gelato into an airtight container and aside in the freezer until needed.
- For the Tempered Chocolate, place 180g of the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring frequently until temperature reaches 48C. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate. Place the bowl over an ice bath and continue to stir to melt the chocolate until the mixture cools to 27C. Take the bowl on and off the ice bath as required to prevent chocolate from seizing.
- When the chocolate has reached 27C, transfer the bowl back over the simmering water and reheat to 31C. Once at temperature, remove the chocolate from the heat.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of tempered chocolate into 8 x 6cm wide dome moulds. Tap the moulds and swirl the chocolate around the mould so the chocolate covers the inside evenly. Flip moulds over and tap out excess chocolate. Smooth off the edges with a palette knife to neaten. Set the moulds aside upside down on a wire rack resting over a baking tray to allow excess chocolate to drip out. Set aside in the fridge to harden until needed.
- For the Sponge, place the eggs and cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and sugar and continue to whisk until very pale. Fold in the flour until combined, being careful not to knock out the air in the mixture.
- Pour the sponge mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and golden on top. Allow to cool slightly in the tin, then invert onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely until needed.
- For the White Chocolate Mousse, place the white chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring frequently to melt. Once melted, take the bowl off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream to soft peaks. When chocolate is cool, fold into cream and transfer to a piping bag. Set aside in fridge until needed.
- For the Miso Caramel, roast the peanuts in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until toasted and golden. Once toasted, set aside on the tray to cool.
- Place the sugar in a medium frypan over medium heat and until sugar dissolves and is amber in colour.
- Meanwhile, warm the cream slightly in a small saucepan and then add the cream to the caramelised sugar and stir over a low heat until combined. Add the butter and miso and whisk until smooth. Add the peanuts to the caramel and set aside until needed.
- Dice strawberries into 3mm cubes. And set aside in fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, first place a metal baking tray into the oven to warm up.
- Place a dollop of Miso Caramel into the middle of the serving plates. Unmould the chocolate domes and place one dome, hollow side up, on top of the caramel on each plate. Place 3 – 4 torn pieces of sponge and several pieces of diced strawberries into the upturned dome.
- Heat up a 4cm ring cutter and carefully cut a hole in the side of the remaining domes for the top of the spheres. Remove the baking tray from the oven and rub the edges of the top domes against the surface to soften the chocolate then quickly align top dome to the base dome on the plate to form a sphere.
- Pipe white chocolate mousse into the sphere. Spoon more caramel on top of the mousse and finish with a scoop of gelato on the side.
Watch Full Episodes