Crispy Fish Larb
Gary shows you how to make a fresh crispy fish larb
Air Date: 16 May 2019
Gary's delicious Crispy Fish recipe is simple to cook, with fresh produce and a hidden minty surprise.
Recipe by: Gary Mehigan
Serves: Serves 4
- For the dressing, place the lime juice and sugar in a bowl and stir until just dissolved. Add chilli and ginger. Very finely shred lime leaves and add to the bowl along with the fish sauce and stir to combine. Set aside until required.
- For the salad, cut snake beans into 2inch (4cm) lengths. Peel green mango and shred flesh into fine strips, set aside.
- For the fish, pour the oil into a deep heavy based frying pan, approximately 2cm deep and set over a high heat. Heat to 180°C and turn the heat down to low. The oil should be just shimmering.
- Meanwhile, slice the fish thinly through the skin approximately 4mm thick, sprinkle over the fish sauce and soy, a touch of ground black pepper and marinate for a few minutes, ensuring the pieces are nicely coated.
- Place the rice flour in a bowl and dredge the fish through the flour. Make sure the fish pieces are well coated then tap of the excess and drop gently into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes, moving occasionally to prevent the slices from sticking together and brown evenly. When slices are very crisp and golden brown, remove and drain well on a paper towel lined plate.
- To finish, bruise snake beans and half the shredded mango in a mortar and pestle with a little of the dressing. Place into a bowl, along with the remaining green mango, bean sprouts, fresh mint, spearmint, drained and dried shrimps, sesame seeds, toasted peanuts, ground toasted rice and lemongrass. Add the fish, fried shallots and garlic and lightly toss together.
- Arrange the betel leaves on 4 serving dishes and pile the salad on top. Drizzle the dressing over each dish and serve.