Deep Fried Barramundi on Betel Leaf and Sticky Sauce
Recipe by: Diana Chan - Contestant
Rate this recipe:
- Mystery Box
- Diana Chan - Contestant
- Betel Leaves
- Coconut Water
- Coriander Seeds
- Fish Sauce
- Glutinous Rice
- Green Chillies
- Kaffir Lime Leaves
- Palm Sugar
- Red Chillies
- Shrimp Paste
- For the Sticky Rice, place the glutinous rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Place the rinsed rice, coconut water, palm sugar and ½ a cup of water into a pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Release the pressure and keep warm.
- For the Crispy Barramundi, place a small frypan over medium heat. Add the coriander seeds and toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Place the toasted seeds into a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder, reserve the pan on the heat.
- To the frypan, add the shrimp paste and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the ground seeds and toasted shrimp paste to a blender. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, kaffir lime pulp, green and red chillies, Thai basil, galangal, shallots and 2 tablespoons of water to the blender and blitz to a paste.
- Spread half of the paste onto a shallow tray. Place the barramundi fillets on top then spread with the remaining half of the paste. Cover the fillets with cling film and transfer to the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once the barramundi has marinated, place the rice bran oil into a wok over medium heat and heat to 180°C.
- Once the oil is at temperature, add the barramundi pieces and fry until the fish is crisp on the outside and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel. Reserve the wok of oil on the heat.
- For the Crispy Shallots, add the sliced shallots to the wok of oil and deep fry until deep golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- For the Betel Leaves, place sugar and 2 cups of water into a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the betel leaves and set aside for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry then set aside on a plate until needed.
- For the Sticky Sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the coriander seeds and toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to cook until reduced to a syrup consistency. Strain through a fine sieve and place into a serving jug then set aside, keeping warm.
- To serve, place 4 Betel Leaves onto each plate. Divide Sticky Rice between Betel Leaves and top with some slices of the Crispy Barramundi. Sprinkle with Crispy Shallots and garnish with some fresh chillies and Thai basil. Serve with the Sticky Sauce on the side.
Watch Full Episodes