Dory Fillet with Artichoke Three Ways and Vanilla Bean Hollandaise
Recipe by: Ben Ungermann - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- For the Dory, remove the skin from the John Dory fillets. Place the fillets onto a plate, cover and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Lay the Dory skin out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and season well with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until crisp, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Break into shards and set aside.
- For the Artichoke Hearts, peel away and discard the coarse outer leaves of artichokes down to the soft inner leaves and the heart. Cut the top half of the artichoke bulbs off and discard. With a spoon, remove the fibrous choke from the centres and place the artichoke hearts into a medium bowl of water with the vinegar.
- For the Pickled Artichoke Stems, use a vegetable peeler to peel the artichoke stems. Finely slice the peeled stems then place into a medium bowl of water with the vinegar and a pinch of salt and set aside to pickle.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Heat a medium saucepan of rice bran oil to 180°C.
- For the Fried Artichoke Leaves, pick approximately 16 of the softer inner leaves from the artichoke hearts sitting in the bowl of acidulated water. Add the leaves to the hot water and blanch for 30 seconds, then remove from the water and set aside on paper towel to dry. Keep the saucepan of water over a low heat for later use.
- Once leaves are dry, add the leaves to the preheated fryer and fry until crispy and golden, then place onto paper towel. Season and set aside until needed.
- To finish the Artichoke Hearts, drain artichoke hearts well. Add drained artichoke hearts to the pot of simmering water and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove the artichoke hearts from the pot and drain well on paper towel. Spread onto a baking tray, drizzle with grapeseed oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place into the oven to bake until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside, keeping warm.
- For the Vanilla Bean Hollandaise, place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks and milk together in a medium bowl. Sit the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water, whisking until thickened, then remove from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla seeds then whisk in butter cubes, a few at a time. Return the bowl to the heat between additions to ensure the butter emulsifies. Once all butter has been added, pass through a fine sieve into a serving jug and set aside.
- To cook the John Dory fillets, heat the grapeseed oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Season the fillets, add to the pan, and cook about halfway through. Add butter to the pan, turn fillets over and cook for a further 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the fish to rest until the fish is just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, place artichoke hearts in the centre of each serving plate and place a John Dory fillet on top. Drain the Pickled Artichoke Stems and scatter around the plate. Scatter some of the Fried Artichoke Leaves. Garnish with some shards of the crispy dory skin and serve with the Vanilla Bean Hollandaise on the side.
Watch Full Episodes