Earl Grey Panna Cotta with Chocolate Sponge and Cholcolate Soil
Christina's Earl Grey Panna Cotta combines the aromatic tea flavour with a chocolate sponge and orange cream.
Recipe by: Christina Laker - Contestant
Rate this recipe:
- Elimination Challenge
- Christina Laker - Contestant
- Caster Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Dark Chocolate
- Earl Grey
- Egg Yolk
- Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
- Plain Flour
- Thickened Cream
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Bean Paste
- For the Earl Grey Panna Cotta, prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- Place the cream, milk, tea and icing sugar into a small saucepan and heat to 80C. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Drain the gelatine and squeeze to remove excess water. Add the gelatine to the hot cream mixture and whisk until gelatine has dissolved. Strain through a fine muslin lined sieve into a medium bowl.
- Place over the ice bath, whisking regularly, to cool, without allowing to set. Pour into six 5.5cm high x 120ml capacity dariole moulds. Place onto a tray and into the freezer for 15 minutes. Transfer to the fridge until set.
- For the Chocolate Sponge, place the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 500ml cream whipper canister. Charge with 3 bulbs, shaking the canister thoroughly after each charge.
- Dispense mixture into a paper cups until ¾ full. Microwave for 50 seconds. Remove from the microwave and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining mixture. Once cool, break into pieces.
- For the Chocolate Soil, place the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water into a small saucepan. Place over low heat and cook until an amber coloured caramel forms.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, whisking vigorously, until a crumb forms. Set aside to cool.
- For the Orange Cream, bring water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Place the ingredients into a medium bowl and place over the simmering water without letting the base of the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the ingredients with an electric whisk until thickened, pale and fluffy.
- Remove from the heat and place the bowl over the ice bath to cool.
- Once cool, transfer the mixture to the canister of a cream whipper. Charge with 2 bulbs shaking well after each charge. Set aside in the fridge.
- To serve, unmould an Earl Grey Panna Cotta onto each serving plate. Spoon some Chocolate Soil around each panna cotta. Add 3 pieces Chocolate Sponge to each plate. Dispense some Orange Cream between the sponges and garnish the plates with edible flowers.
Watch Full Episodes