Hot Chips with a Chilli Jam and Mayo
Recipe by: Tamara Graffen - Contestant
- Turn on deep fryer to 180C. Place a medium saucepan of salted water over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- For the Chilli Jam, place chillies, tomatoes, capsicum and ginger into a small food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat then add the blended chilli mixture.
- Add the brown sugar, soy, fish sauce and vinegar and cook until it resembles a jam consistency, about 18-20 minutes. Set aside in a small serving dish.
- For the Paprika Mayo, crack the egg carefully into a stick blender canister, taking care not break the yolk. Add the remaining ingredients. Carefully insert the stick blender, making sure blades completely cover the yolk. Blend, and as mayo comes together, slowly bring blender up through the mayo to incorporate all the oil.
- For the Paprika and Garlic Salt Chips, combine paprika, garlic powder and salt flakes in a medium bowl and stir to combine then set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1cm wide lengths. Add potatoes to the pot of boiling water and cook until tender and almost falling apart, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain potatoes in a colander to rough up the edges. Spread potatoes on a shallow tray in the freezer until completely cooled, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add cooled potato chips to the deep fryer and fry until crispy and golden brown, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the deep fryer and drain on paper towel. Add chips to the bowl of paprika and garlic salt and toss to coat.
- To serve, place Chilli Jam and Paprika Mayo dishes on either side of the plate. Stack chips in the middle of the serving plate and finish with finely chopped chives.
Watch Full Episodes