Japanese Set Custard
This savoury dish is a delicious take on the classic Japanese Set Custard, with a silky smooth texture and strong, tangy flavours.
Recipe by: Simon Toohey - Contestant
- Half fill a large wide saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- For the Pickled Daikon, combine the mirin, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar and 40ml water in a small bowl. Add the daikon and allow to pickle for 20 minutes. Drain then transfer to a small serving ramekin.
- For the Fried Garlic, Shallots and Enoki Mushrooms, place the oil into a small saucepan and heat to 180C.
- Cook the garlic, shallots and mushrooms separately in the hot oil until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the oil and place onto kitchen paper. Season lightly with salt then transfer to a small serving ramekin.
- For the Japanese Set Custard, prepare a dashi stock. Place the kombu, shiitake, ginger, garlic and 1L of water into a medium saucepan over low heat and bring to 80C.
- Remove from the heat and add the bonito. Allow to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Pass the dashi stock through a muslin lined fine sieve into a large deep baking dish. Reserve 6 for the shiitake and set the stock aside in the fridge to cool to 40C.
- Meanwhile, without incorporating any air, lightly whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add 600ml cooled dashi stock and spring onion and stir through until evenly combined. Skin any bubbles from the surface of the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into six 9cm wide x 5cm deep ramekins. Cover each ramekin with foil and place into the base of a steamer basket.
- Cover with a lid and place the basket over the simmering water. Steam custards until mostly set and a little softness remains in the centre, about 25 minutes. Remove the custards from the basket, uncover and set aside.
- For the Pickled Shiitake, place the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, mirin and 100ml water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Slice the shiitakes and add to the saucepan. Remove from the heat and set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Drain well then transfer to a small serving ramekin.
- For the Burnt Leek, place a small frypan over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the leek slices and cook until charred, about 1½ minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Transfer to a small serving ramekin.
- For the soy, Mirin and Sesame Dressing, combine ingredients along with 20ml water in a small serving jug and mix together to combine. Set aside.
- To serve, place Japanese Set Custards and accompaniments onto a large serving tray.
Watch Full Episodes