Maple Nut Ice Cream with Maple Bacon, Maple Biscuit and Pickled Apple
Recipe by: Red Team
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Turn on the ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Maple Syrup and Brazil Nut Ice Cream, place the cream, milk and maple syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat and bring to just below boiling point.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a separate bowl until light and pale.
- While whisking, slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously until incorporated. Return mixture to the saucepan and place over medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and cool over an ice bath. Once cool, stir in the chopped nuts. Transfer the mixture to the ice cream machine and churn until set. Once set, transfer to the freezer until needed.
- For the Maple Bacon, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place bacon onto the lined tray and brush with maple syrup. Cover with another sheet of baking paper then top with a second baking tray to weigh down. Bake in the oven until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and trim the ends of the bacon to neaten. Cut each rasher into 3 pieces and set aside until needed.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C
- For the Almond Maple Biscuit, place all ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well until fully combined. Spread the mixture out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and press down with fingertips to form an even thickness. Bake in the oven until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Caramelised Banana Mousse, heat the butter and brown sugar in a small fry pan over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, add in the banana and cook, turning occasionally, until golden and soft. Remove from the heat and set aside on a baking tray lined with baking paper to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place the cream in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip to soft peaks. Transfer the cream to a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the cooled bananas into a stick blender canister and purée until smooth. Add the puréed bananas to the whipped cream and fold through gently until combined. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Pickled Apple, place the vinegar and maple syrup together in a saucepan and place over a medium heat, stirring until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add apple to the pickling liquid and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside until needed.
- To serve, place a spoonful of Caramelised Banana Mousse at the base of the serving dish. Break the Almond Maple Biscuit into smaller pieces and place around the Caramelised Banana Mousse. Place a quenelle of the Maple Syrup and Brazil Nut Ice Cream on top of mousse. Add 3 pieces of Maple Bacon to each dish and top with pieces of Pickled Apple.
Watch Full Episodes