Middle Eastern Crispy Eggplant
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 180°C.
- For the Tahini Sauce, place all ingredients, along with 65ml water, in a bowl and mix to combine. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside until needed.
- For the Crispy Eggplant, peel and cut eggplant into 2cm cubes and set aside until needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, semolina, and salt and pepper to taste. Place egg whites in a separate medium bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
- Toss eggplant cubes in the whisked egg whites, then dredge in the flour and semolina mixture. Deep fry the eggplant until crispy and golden, about 5 – 6 minutes. Once golden, remove eggplant from the deep fryer and set aside to drain on paper towel until needed.
- For the Parsley Salad, pick leaves and place into a medium bowl. Chop stems of parsley into 2 cm lengths and add to the bowl along with the oil and lemon zest. Toss well to combine and set aside until needed.
- To serve, spread Tahini Sauce in the base of serving bowl. Top with a pile of crispy eggplant and scatter over some toasted, ground farro and a sprinkle of sumac to garnish. Finish with Parsley Salad and serve.
Watch Full Episodes