Check out the cheat's guide to bread, butter and Jam
Air Date: 30 Aug 2013
Recipe by: Matt Preston
- For the bread, combine flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Stir in water until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate overnight
- Remove bowl from fridge 1 hour prior to cooking, and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper, and generously dust sheet with flour. Place half of the dough onto one tray and place in oven for 1 hour or until golden, and the inside sounds hollow when knocked on the base. Make rolls and a smaller long loaf with remaining half of dough. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes or until golden and hollow inside.
- For the raspberry jam, place raspberries and sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook mixture for 2 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice and skin, and cook for about 20 minutes until thickened, and has reached a jam-like consistency, stirring regularly. Remove lemon skin and discard. Divide jam between 2 sterilised jam jars. The jam will set as it cools down.
- Meanwhile, for the butter, place cream and sour cream into the bowl of an electric mixer, and whisk until mixture splits, separating butter from buttermilk. Drain through a colander. Pour iced water over butter to rinse off any excess whey. Transfer butter to a piece of baking paper, season with salt, and roll into a log. Refrigerated until needed.
- Serve bread warm with homemade butter and jam.
Notes: Makes 1 large round loaf, 1 long loaf and 6 rolls.
My friend, Kareen Coomer, whose husband runs Pata Negra in Perth, taught this recipe to me. He’s a chef, and she’s the sort of home cook, every cheat should have as a hero.