Pearl Barley and Herb Risotto Stuffed in Spiced Squid
Recipe by: Diana Chan
Rate this recipe:
- Invention Test
- Diana Chan
- Baby Spinach
- Chicken Stock
- Coriander Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Nasturtium Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Pearl Barley
- Potato Flour
- Red Chillies
- For the Pearl Barley Risotto, rinse barley and place it in a pressure cooker with 500ml stock. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch mixed herbs into a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and refresh in iced water. Drain and squeeze out liquid from the mixed herbs then place into a jug of a blender and set aside in fridge.
- Place a medium saucepan on low heat and melt 20g butter. Add butter and fry garlic and shallots for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add leeks and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Transfer mixture to the blender and process on high speed until smooth.
- Place remaining butter into a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add mushrooms and fry until tender and golden, about 5 minutes Add barley and stir through.
- Mix ½ cup of green herb sauce into the barley and cook gently for 4-5 minutes making sure the sauce thickens. Remove from heat, season and set aside to cool.
- For the Spiced Squid, toast seeds in a frypan over low heat until lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes. Grind into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle. Add salt and spices and set aside in a medium bowl. Remove 2 teaspoons of spice mix and place into a small bowl along with the tentacles and set aside.
- Stuff the squid with the pearl barley risotto. Coat the squid in olive oil then coat in spice mix. Heat a large frypan over medium high heat. Add squid and cook for 3 minutes, turning every 30 seconds. Once flesh is white, remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 60ml of oil in frypan over high heat. Add potato flour to tentacles and spice and toss gently to coat. Fry for 1-2 minutes until white and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
- For the Green Salad, mix all ingredients in a bowl and toss gently.
- To serve, place some green herb sauce on the base of each serving plate. Add 3 slices of sliced squid and some fried tentacles to each plate. Add some Green Herb Salad and garnish with shaved parmesan.
Watch Full Episodes