Pepper Duck with Sambal Beans and Pickle Relish
Sashi cooks a pan seared duck with hot sambal beans, chilli oil, and a refreshing side of pickled radish to compliment this spicy and tasty dish
Recipe by: Sashi Cheliah - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Pickled Radish, place all ingredients and 3 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat and allow to pickle for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside until serving.
- For the Sambal Paste, roughly chop 1 lemongrass stalk and place in a food processor. Add shallot, garlic, ginger, dried chilli, red chilli, rehydrated shrimp, palm sugar and 100ml peanut oil and blend to a thick paste.
- Heat the remaining 200ml peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Lightly bruise the remaining stalk of lemongrass, cut in half and add to the oil. Once fragrant, add the paste and cook over a medium heat until oil rises to the top and the sambal changes in colour to a dark red. Remove from heat and set aside for Sambal Beans and serving.
- For the Caramelised Shallots, heat the oil in a small, oven proof frypan over medium heat. Add shallots, cut side down and cook until charred, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the oven and cook until soft and caramelised, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool then remove skin and trim away root. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Duck Breast, use a mortar and pestle to crush the pepper finely.
- Lightly score the skin of the duck breasts and season with salt and crushed pepper. Place in a cold, large, oven proof frypan, skin side down and place over low heat. Cook until fat has rendered and the skin is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Turn breasts over and sear for another 1 minute.
- Transfer the duck breast to the oven, skin side up and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and rest the duck breast for 10 minutes until serving.
- For the Sambal Beans, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and blanch beans for 2 minutes. Remove from water and place into iced cold water.
- Place a medium frypan over medium heat. Add Sambal Paste and beans, quickly toss pan to warm beans through then remove from heat.
- To serve, place 2 spoonfuls of Sambal Paste into the centre of each serving plate and top with Sambal Beans. Slice Duck Breast in half, lengthways, and add to the plate. Add Caramelised Shallot and Pickled Radish and garnish with basil leaves.
Watch Full Episodes