Prawn and Pork Potstickers with a Red Vinegar Sauce and Cucumber Salad
Derek's dumpling dish has a mixture of spice, heat and fresh flavour.
Recipe by: Derek Lau - Contestant
Serves: 20 dumplings
- For the Chilli Oil, place chilli flakes, sesame seeds, star anise, cinnamon stick and a pinch of sea salt flakes into a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Pour hot oil and garlic over the spices and salt and set aside to infuse.
- For the Red Vinegar Sauce, place ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until combined. Set aside on the bench.
- For the Pickled Cucumber, use a vegetable peeler to slice cucumber thinly lengthways and place into a medium bowl. Slice radish thinly and add to the bowl.
- For the dressing, mix remaining ingredients together in a small bowl until combined then pour over cucumber and radish. Toss through, cover and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Dumpling Skirt, place the rice flour in a bowl and while whisking, add the room temperature water to make a smooth batter. Whisk in the just boiled water to yield a milky, opaque slurry. Set aside on the bench.
- For the Pork and Prawn dumplings, line a large baking tray with baking paper and dust lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Prepare the dumpling dough. Place flour and salt into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre then slowly pour in ¾ cup warm water, while whisking with a fork or chopsticks until a rough dough forms.
- Lightly dust a clean bench or work surface with extra flour. Knead dough on floured bench until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Return dough to bowl and cover. Set aside on the bench to rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust bench with flour. Starting with the thickest setting, pass the dumpling dough through a pasta machine five times, reducing the setting each time until desired thickness is reached. Lay length of dough onto floured bench. Use a 9cm circular cutter to cut out 20 rounds. Cover rounds with a clean tea towel.
- For the filling, use a mincer or food processor to finely mince the pork and place into a medium bowl. Finely dice prawns and add to the bowl, along with remaining ingredients, and mix well until fully combined.
- To assemble the Pork and Prawn Dumplings, place 1 tablespoon of the filling into the centre of each round of dumpling dough. Wet the edge of each dough round with a little water. Fold the dough over to cover the filling and pleat the edges to seal.
- Place dumplings onto the prepared tray, pressing down slightly to form a flat base on the dumplings.
- To cook the dumplings, place 2 large frypans over medium high heat. Add 1½ tablespoons of canola oil to each pan and when hot, add the dumplings to the pan, one at a time, flat side down. Fry the dumplings for 1 to 2 minutes, until the bases are golden.
- Whisk the dumpling skirt mixture then pour into each frypan, around the dumplings, to a depth of 5-6mm. Cover frypans with lids, decrease the heat to medium, and allow mixture to simmer until liquid has mostly evaporated and a starchy white residue remains, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pans and fry dumplings until a browned and crisp skirt forms around the dumplings. Remove the frypans from the heat.
- To serve, gently place a plate that is slightly smaller than the frypan into the frypan. While holding the plate and frypan together, quickly flip both over and carefully lift the frypan away so that the dumplings are on the plate with the dumpling skirt facing upwards. Repeat with remaining frypan. Garnish each plate with spring onion. Place Pickled Cucumber and Radish into a ramekin and pour Red Vinegar Sauce and Chilli Oil into separate ramekins to serve on the side.
Watch Full Episodes