Raspberry Sorbet with Matcha and Chocolate
Recipe by: Arum Nixon - Contestant
- Pre chill ice cream machine and preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Raspberry Sorbet, place raspberries into canister of stick blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve to remove seeds. Reserve 40ml of puree to pickle raspberries. Set aside remaining puree.
- Place sugar and 3 tablespoons water into a small saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved into a thick syrup. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine remaining raspberry puree and the cooled sugar syrup and place into ice cream machine. Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until thick and smooth. Set aside in the freezer.
- For the Macha Cremeaux, place cream in a small saucepan, set over medium heat, heat to scalding point and remove from heat. Meanwhile, lightly whisk egg yolk, sugar and macha powder in a medium bowl. Add a little of the hot cream, whisking to combine, then add the remaining hot cream and whisk well to combine. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over a low heat continuously until the mixture thickens to a custard and can coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Place white and milk chocolate into a medium bowl. Pour the hot custard, through a sieve, over the chocolate and stir until smooth and well combined. Set aside to cool.
- For the Roast Chocolate, cut the chocolate into small pieces and spread onto a lined baking tray. Place in the oven, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning, until the chocolate becomes a golden caramel colour, about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place the cooled roast chocolate into the bowl of a small blender and pulse to a coarse crumb. Mix with macha powder and set aside.
- For the Macha Sherbert, combine ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Pickled Raspberries, place the reserved raspberry puree, vinegar and raspberries in a small bowl and stir to ensure the raspberries are fully coated. Allow to pickle for 20 minutes. Remove the raspberries and set aside, reserving raspberry vinegar in a small serving jug.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- For the Macha Biscuit, place the flour, butter, sugar, macha powder and salt into a food processor and blitz to combine. Add egg yolk and pulse to make a soft, smooth dough.
- Bring together into a ball then roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper to 2mm thick. Cut out 5cm diameter rounds and place on a well greased baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake until crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Place biscuits on a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the cremeaux at one end of rectangular serving plate and swipe along the plate with a spoon. Mix the roasted chocolate and sherbet in a bowl, and add in a line across the swipe. Pile the fresh and pickled raspberries alongside.
- Add a quenelle of the sorbet over the spoon of cremeaux, and arrange a biscuit leaning against the sorbet.
- Pour the reserved raspberry vinegar into a serving jug and serve alongside
Watch Full Episodes