Roasted Pineapple Dish
Recipe by: Michelle Lukman - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- For the Pan Grilled Pineapple Rings, place a grill pan over medium heat. Slice six 1cm thick slices from pineapple. Using a large 10cm round cutter, cut pineapple to remove skin and create a perfect disc. Use a 5cm round cutter to cut the centre core out of the discs to create rings. Reserve the remaining piece of pineapple for the Pickled Pineapple.
- Brush the pineapple rings with grapeseed oil on each side. Place pineapple rings onto the preheated grill and grill on each side, brushing with the melted butter, until pineapple is golden and tender. Turn off the heat and set pineapple aside in the pan to cool until needed.
- For the Pickled Pineapple, trim skin from the remaining pineapple. Slice another four 1cm thick slices from the pineapple. Remove and discard the pineapple cores then cut pineapple into 1cm cubes. Reserve remaining piece of pineapple for later use. Combine vinegar, sugar, 2 tablespoons of water and salt into a small saucepan and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat then add pineapple cubes and chilli and stir well. Set aside to pickle until needed.
- For the Salted Caramel Sauce, combine sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Brush down the sides of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallisation. Once the sugar mixture begins to turn golden, swirl the saucepan gently until the sugar turns amber in colour, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place cream into a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Once sugar has reached colour, stir in the warmed cream and continue to stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in the butter and salt until well combined, then set aside to cool. Once cooled, transfer to a piping bag and set aside until needed.
- For the Vanilla Tuille, line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter into a small non-stick saucepan and place over low heat and melt completely. Remove from the heat and aside to cool.
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. While whisking continuously, slowly add sugar and continue to whisk until soft peak stage. In a slow and steady stream, pour in the melted butter and whisk until combined. Fold in the flour and salt until combined. Spoon tablespoons of the batter onto the prepared tray and use an offset palette knife to spread out thinly.
- Place into the oven and bake until golden brown on the edges, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, break into small shards and set aside until needed.
- Increase the oven to 200C.
- For the Pineapple Syrup, cut the remaining piece of peeled pineapple into small pieces and place into a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée the pineapple pieces until smooth.
- Line a sieve with muslin cloth and sit over a small saucepan. Strain pineapple purée through the lined sieve into the saucepan using a spoon to yield as much juice as possible. Stir in the sugar and place over a medium heat. Cook until reduced by half then stir in the vinegar and salt and remove from the heat.
- For the Crumble, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place butter, flour and sugar into a medium bowl and use fingertips to rub together to form a crumb. Spread crumb evenly out onto the lined baking tray and bake until lightly golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, use a fork to break the crumble up into a coarse crumb and set aside until needed.
- For the Chantilly Cream, place cream and sugar into a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Fold in the salt and place in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, pipe three dots of Salted Caramel onto each serving plate. Use a teaspoon to quenelle Chantilly Cream and place three quenelles next to the Salted Caramel on each plate. Add some Vanilla Tuille shards. Place a ring of the Pan Grilled Pineapple onto each plate. Slice the remaining two Pan Grilled Pineapple Rings in half and place one half onto each serving plate. Drain the Pickled Pineapple and scatter some cubes onto each plate. Pour the Pineapple Syrup over the pineapple rings and then finish with a sprinkle of the Crumble.
Watch Full Episodes