Steak and Mushrooms with Parsnip Puree and Miso Butter
This is a dish that you can quickly whip up for dinner and its perfect for beginners!
Recipe by: Tim Bone - Contestant
- For the Miso Tuille, place ingredients along with 205ml water into a large jug and whisk together until smooth.
- Place a small non-stick frypan over low-medium heat. Pour enough tuille mixture in to thinly cover base of pan and cook until set, about 8 minutes. Remove the tuille and set aside on paper towel. Repeat with remaining mixture and draining excess oil from the pan in between cooking each tuille.
- For the Parsnip Puree, place ingredients into a medium saucepan and place over low heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until parsnip is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the herbs and transfer the parsnip to a food processor. Add enough cooking liquid and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and season with salt to taste. Set aside, covered, in a warm place.
- For the Herb and Miso Butter, place all ingredients into a small food processer and process until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- For the Caramelised Shallots, place a medium frypan over medium heat. Add the butter and oil and when melted, add the shallots cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add balsamic, sugar and salt cook until thick and caramelised, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Parsnip Chips, heat oil in a medium saucepan to 170C.
- Place parsnip strips into the hot oil and cook until golden and crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the oil and place onto paper towel. Season with salt while still hot. Set aside.
- For the Steak, heat a large frypan over high heat.
- Tie each steak with string to hold in shape. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
- Cook steak in the smoking hot pan for 2 minutes on each side then sear the outside of steak turning continuously for 1 minute, for rare or longer until cooked to your liking.
- Remove steak and place onto a board. Brush liberally with the Herb and Miso butter and rest. Remove string before serving.
- For the Grilled Mushrooms, place the Herb and Miso Butter and oil into a medium frypan over medium high heat. Once melted, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- To serve, spread the puree in a circle on each plate. Top with a portion of steak. Place the caramelised shallots and mushrooms around the outside and top with parsnip crisps and tuille. Garnish with watercress.
Watch Full Episodes