Steak Sandwich with Cheddar, Aioli and Toffee Onions
Matt makes the perfect steak sandwich
Air Date: 30 Jun 2016
Recipe by: Matt Preston
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Toffee Onions, heat oil in a frypan. Add onions and salt and fry over low heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Add butter and sugar and increase heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the Aioli, place garlic on a sheet of aluminium foil and drizzle with some olive oil. Wrap tightly and place into the oven to roast until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Very carefully crack egg into the base of a stick blender canister, making sure it does not break. Add Dijon mustard, salt and lemon juice. Gently pour in grapeseed oil. Carefully insert the stick blender, making sure blades completely cover the yolk. Blend, and as mayo comes together, slowly bring blender up through the mayo to incorporate all the oil. Squeeze out soft flesh from roasted garlic cloves and mix through well to combine.
- To cook the Steak, oil and season the steaks on both sides. Heat a heavy based frypan over medium heat. Add steak and cook for 4 minutes on each side, or to your liking. Remove from heat and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice into 1cm thick slices and reserve for assembly.
- To assemble, toast the bread slices. Lay a slice of cheddar cheese onto the toast. Add the sliced Steak. Top with a layer of Toffee Onions and a dollop of Aioli. Season and top with a second layer of toast. Serve immediately.
Watch Full Episodes