Sunrise Lime Parfait with Fondant Potatoes, Potato Chips and a Cep Caramel
Recipe by: Eloise Praino - Contestant
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in deep fryer to 180°C.
- For the Sunrise Lime Parfait, halve four of the limes lengthwise and place in a small baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast in the pre-heated oven until lightly caramelised and soft, about 12 – 15 minutes. Finely dice remaining limes and set aside until needed.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside until needed.
- Place the egg, egg yolks and sugar in a stainless steel bowl and whisk over a double boiler until tripled in volume, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then fold through whipped cream. Stir through the diced limes.
- Place a sheet of 6 x 6.5cm wide dome moulds on to a flat baking tray. Fill each mould with the parfait mixture and level off the tops with an offset spatula. Place the moulds in the freezer until set.
- For the Potato Fondants, slice the potato into 1cm thick slices. Using a 4cm ring cutter, cut out 30 rounds from the potato slices.
- Place half of the butter into a frying pan and heat until foaming. Add the potato rounds and turn temperature down to very low.
- Continue cooking the potatoes on one side until a golden crust forms, around 15-20 minutes, adding a little more cold butter if the pan butter begins to brown.
- Turn and continue to cook on the other side until nicely caramelised and tender.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of water.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve. Reserve 2 tablespoons of cooking liquid for the Cep Caramel.
- For the Candied Sunrise Limes, place limes in a small saucepan with the sugar and 20ml water.
- Cook over a low heat, adding water when the pan gets too dry, until limes are translucent and sticky, about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Potato Crisps, using a peeler, slice ribbons of potato. Deep fry in the pre-heated oil, in batches, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside until needed.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Toss the chips through to coat well, then remove form the bowl, dusting off excess and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Cep Caramel, heat sugar in a dry frying pan over a low heat until dark amber in colour, swirling pan occasionally if necessary and brushing down sides with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent burning. Once caramelised, add cream, butter and reserved cooking liquid, whisking constantly until combined. Stir in the cep powder and season with salt. Set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange 5 Fondant Potatoes in a ring in the centre of each serving plate. Sprinkle Candied Sunrise Limes over the potatoes. Place a Sunrise Lime Parfait in the centre of each plate and garnish with Potato Crisps. Serve with Cep Caramel in a jug on the side.
Watch Full Episodes