Garlic Chicken with Cauliflower Tabouli
Miguel visits Roy Cody's Tamworth garlic farm to make a delicious dish
Air Date: 27 Oct 2017
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 6-8 people
- Preheat your BBQ to maximum heat.
- Grind the garlic in a mortar and pestle, gradually adding the olive oil until a paste is formed.
- Add the herbs to the mortar and pestle and continue to grind until the mixture resembles a garlic butter.
- Feel free to use any woody herbs you have handy – you want these hardier herbs as they will hold up better to the heat of the BBQ.
- Next, spatchcock the chicken. Place the chicken breast-side down, with the legs towards you.
- Using kitchen scissors or poultry shears, cut along each side of the parsons nose and backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness. Alternatively you can use your knife to cut the sternum so that the bird lies flat.
- Place the bird bone side down on a chopping board. Using a chef’s knife, score the chicken all over with deep cuts. This will help the flavour infuse into the meat and help the chicken cook quicker.
- Rub the garlic marinade on top of the chicken, and into the incisions to infuse it with as much flavour as possible.
- Place the chicken bone side down on the preheated BBQ, turning the heat down to medium high. Season well with salt. There is no need to flip the chicken, as the BBQ will steam the top until it is cooked through. Not putting the garlic marinade directly on the hot plate will also prevent it from burning and having a bitter taste.
- Cover the BBQ and leave the chicken to cook for around 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the salad.
- Mix the herbs and vegetables together in a large bowl. Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and spices and combine well.
- Once the chicken is done and the meat starts to come away from the bone, remove from the BBQ and cut into pieces.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt, sumac and tabouli on the side.