Pork and Chive Dumplings
Miguel heads to Melbourne to visit the Hutong Dumpling Bar for a dumpling masterclass
Air Date: 16 Feb 2018
These Pork and Chive Dumplings are quick to whip up and are bursting with flavour.
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 30 dumplings
- Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl.
- Place a slightly rounded teaspoon of filling in the center of a round wrapper and moisten the area around the filling with water.
- Fold in half to form a crescent and press to seal. Moisten one corner and bring the corners together, pressing them to form a tortellini-shaped dumpling. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers
- If using square shaped dumpling wrappers, place the filling in the centre of the wrapper and moisten the edges. Fold the wrapper so all the points meet in the center and the center of each of the side of the squares come together to form a four-pointed star. Make sure to press all the edges together well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Arrange half the dumplings in the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes or until bases are brown and crisp.
- Increase heat to high, add ½ cup of water and tightly cover with a lid. Let dumplings steam for 3 minutes, then remove lid. Continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, swirling pan until water has fully evaporated and the dumplings are crisp again. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- Meanwhile make the dipping sauce by combining the sauces in a bowl. Serve dumplings hot with dipping sauce.
Notes: Dumplings can be made in advance and frozen on a tray, then transferred to a freezer bag. Cook
directly from frozen, but for a minute or two longer than the unfrozen variety.